CESA 2 will reimburse staff members for meals and mileage when the staff member is traveling for business purposes. Mileage will be reimbursed at the current IRS rate. Staff members must use their personal credit cards for meals and seek reimbursement.
Employees should submit the total mileage from their home to all of the sites visited in that day back to their home minus 40 miles.
Only expenses incurred while conducting official CESA 2 business will be reimbursed. Reimbursement claims must represent actual, reasonable, and necessary expenses.
Expense reimbursement forms must be submitted by five (5) business days after the end of the month. Receipts and other documentation must be submitted with the form and can be submitted as PDF files or the physical receipts taped to a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper if they are smaller than that.
Meals will be reimbursed if the conference or event does not provide a meal. CESA 2 will reimburse up to $8.00 for breakfast, $10.00 for lunch and $20.00 for dinner for in-state meals. CESA 2 will reimburse up to $10.00 for breakfast, $15.00 for lunch and $25.00 for dinner for out-of-state meals. CESA 2 generally follows the guidelines outlined in the State of Wisconsin Pocket Travel Guide. Staff members must submit itemized receipts in order to receive reimbursement.
Please keep in mind that reimbursement will not be provided for items when the conference, event or hotel offers the item. For example, staff members can’t ask reimbursement for a Starbucks coffee if coffee is served at the event.
Examples of Expenses that are Not Reimbursable*
- Alcoholic beverages
- Snacks, water, etc.
- Supplies, office items, etc.
- Spouse or family members’ travel costs
- Cancellation charges (unless fully justified)
- Lost/stolen cash or personal property
- Personal items, e.g., toiletries, luggage, clothing, etc.
- Traffic citations, parking tickets and other fines
- Excessive mileage charges incurred for personal reasons e.g., sightseeing, side trips, etc.
- Parking costs at the assigned workplace
- Repairs, towing service, etc., for personal vehicle
- Additional charges for late checkout
- Taxi fares to and from restaurants
- Meals included in the cost of registration fees or airfare
- Upgrades to airline travel or airfare
- Baggage fees for baggage that is over the accepted weight
- Flight insurance
- Pay-per-view movies and personal entertainment
- Child care costs and kennel costs
*This list is not all-inclusive.